Indoor Self Storage vs Container Storage
Self-storage has become a increasingly popular option for individuals and businesses looking to store their belongings. When it comes to self-storage, there are two main options available: indoor self-storage and container storage.
In this article, we will compare the pros and cons of indoor self storage and outdoor container storage to help you choose the right option for your storage needs, understanding the difference between self storage options:
Indoor Self Storage Facility
Indoor self-storage refers to a type of storage space that is located within a building, typically in a multi-story facility. The storage units are enclosed and climate-controlled and facilities may offer a variety of unit sizes and security features for business customers. When searching for indoor storage units near me, customers typically rent indoor self-storage units on a monthly basis, and can access their unit using a unique key or access code.
Indoor self-storage is a popular option for individuals and businesses looking for a convenient and practical solution to store a wide range of items, from furniture and appliances to documents and inventory. If its a boat you are looking to store then you may want to read this article
It could be compared to having an additional large cupboard or office, as the units are located in the interior of a large building. Facilities are typically set in an urban area, and inside a multi-level structure converted building, where units on several floors on either side of a corridor can be accessed using freight lifts and stairs
However, like any other storage option, it comes with both pros and cons.
Pros of Indoor Self Storage
Using an indoor self-storage company can have several benefits, including:
- Climate control: Indoor self storage units are typically climate-controlled, which means that they are kept at a consistent temperature and humidity level. This can help protect your belongings from damage due to extreme temperatures, moisture, and pests.
- Security: Indoor self storage facilities usually have a range of security measures in place, such as surveillance cameras, security gates, and individual unit locks, which can help keep your belongings safe and secure.
- Accessibility: Indoor self storage units are often located in convenient locations, and you can typically access your unit whenever you need to, making it easy to store and retrieve your belongings.
- Pest Control: Indoor facilities have the benefit of not being exposed to nature or weather, meaning that insects, pests or any sort of infestation are less likely. The points of entry for creatures or insects are minimal with indoor facilities.
- Versatility: Indoor self storage units come in a very wide range of sizes, making it easy to find a unit that is the right size for your storage needs. You can also store a wide range of items in a self storage unit, from small boxes to large furniture items.
- Convenience: Self storage facilities usually offer a range of amenities, such as on-site moving trucks, packing supplies, and trollies, which can make it easy to move your belongings in and out of your unit.
Overall, indoor self storage can be a convenient, secure, and versatile storage solution that provides protection for your belongings while giving you easy access to them when you need them.
Cons of Indoor Self Storage
While indoor self storage offers many benefits, it also has some potential problems that you should be aware of, including:
- Higher cost: An indoor self storage unit is typically more expensive than outdoor storage options due to the added security and climate control features.
- Limited accessibility: An indoor storage unit may be located on upper floors or in buildings with limited access, which can make it more challenging to move your belongings in and out of your unit. Transporting items to and from indoor storage will require you to navigate your belongings through the facility. While this process is simple and streamlined, it will still be more difficult than with outside storage units.
- Limited space: Individual storage rooms may have limited space, which can make it difficult to store larger items such as vehicles, boats, or machinery.
- Potential for moisture: While climate control can protect your belongings from extreme temperatures, it may not always prevent moisture from accumulating in your storage unit. This can be a problem if you are storing items that are sensitive to moisture, such as wooden furniture or electronics.
- Security risks: Indoor self storage units are generally more secure than outdoor container options, but they are not completely immune to theft or vandalism. It's essential to choose a reputable self storage facility with adequate security measures in place.
- Inconvenience: Indoor self storage may be less convenient than outdoor container storage because you may have to navigate through a building or use lifts to access your unit.
Overall, while indoor units self storage provide many benefits, it's essential to consider the potential drawbacks and choose the indoor units option that best suits your storage needs and budget.
Outdoor Container Storage Units
Outdoor container storage refers to a type of storage space that is located outside and consists of shipping containers that have been converted into individual storage rooms or units. These outdoor containers are typically made of steel and are weather-resistant, providing protection from rain, wind, and other elements.
Outdoor container storage facilities may offer individual units in a variety of container sizes and security features, often with factory fitted lock boxes and security systems. Customers typically rent outdoor container storage units on a monthly basis, and can access their unit using a unique key or access code.
It's a popular option for individuals and businesses looking to store larger items, such as vehicles, boats, and machinery, or for those who require more flexible storage options.
You can find out more about car storage by reading this article
Pros Of Outside Container Storage
Using outdoor shipping containers for more storage room space can have several benefits, including:
- Cost-effective: Outdoor storage units are always more affordable than indoor storage options, making it an excellent option for people on a tight budget.
- Flexibility: Outdoor storage containers come in various sizes, allowing you to choose the right size for your needs. Storage unit sizes range from 40sq ft to 320 sq ft.You can also rent the container for as long as you need it and return it when you no longer need it.
- Accessibility: Most outdoor storage containers are located on the ground level, making it easy to drive up to the door of the unit to load and unload your items. You can also park your vehicle or trailer near the container, making it more convenient to move your belongings.
- Security: Most shipping container storage companies have a secure compound with security features such as heavy duty locks, factory fitted lock boxes, surveillance cameras, flood lighting, security fencing and pin controlled gate access, which can protect your items from theft and damage.
- Space: Outdoor container storage is ideal for storing larger items like vehicles, boats, and machinery that may not fit in smaller and less accessible indoor storage units. If you need more storage space to store large or heavy items, an outdoor storage unit would be much easier for you than an inside unit. You don’t have to worry about navigating an unending series of doors or hallways to reach your stuff
- Customisable: You can customise your outdoor storage container with shelves, lighting, and other features to suit your specific storage needs. Whether it's for personal or business items, you get more useful storage space for your money.
- Temporary storage: If you are moving, renovating your home, or downsizing, outside storage units can provide temporary storage space for your items until you are ready to move them to a permanent location.
Overall, outdoor shipping container for storage can be a very cost effective, flexible, and secure storage solution for a wide range of items, business stock and possessions, making it a popular choice for many individuals and businesses.
We have an article "Container Storage Explained' which you may find helpful
Cons of Outdoor Container Self Storage Units
While outdoor container storage can be a convenient and affordable option for people searching and storing items, there are some key differences and potential problems to consider:
- Weather exposure: The external skin of outdoor storage containers are exposed to the elements, including rain, snow, extreme temperatures, and sunlight.
- Lack of climate control: Unlike indoor storage units, outdoor storage containers may not have climate control, which can lead to mould, mildew, and pest infestations, especially if you are storing items that are sensitive to temperature and humidity changes.
- Security systems: While outdoor storage facilities will have locks and many other important security systems, they are still vulnerable to theft and damage from vandalism. It's essential to choose a reputable storage facility that has robust security measures in place.
- Accessibility: Depending on the location of the container and the weather conditions, it can be challenging to access your items when you need them. For example, heavy rain or snow can make it difficult to drive up to the door of the container, especially if it is located in a remote area.
- Limited space: Outdoor storage containers come in a limited range of sizes, they may not be suitable for storing all types of items. Additionally, you may need to stack your items to maximize space, which can make it challenging to access them later.
Overall, outdoor container storage can be a good option for those who need extra space to store larger items, as long as you take precautions to protect your belongings in outdoor units from weather-related damage and choose a reputable storage facility with adequate security measures in place.
Some final thoughts
In conclusion, the customer the decision to choose indoor self storage or outdoor container storage depends on individual storage needs, the unit size, budget, and customer preferences.
For a more in-depth look at long term storage take a look at this BLOG
Indoor self-storage is a popular option for individuals and businesses looking for a secure, climate-controlled environment to store a variety different sizes of items. Although it will be more expensive and less accessible than outdoor self storage facilities, it provides several benefits such as security, versatility, and organisation.
Outdoor container storage, on the other hand, is more affordable and flexible, making it an excellent option for people on a tight budget or those who need to store larger items. It offers several benefits such as accessibility, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness. However, it may not provide the same level of security and climate control as indoor self-storage. Ultimately, it's essential to consider main advantages against the potential drawbacks and choose the option that best suits your storage needs and budget.
Consider the advantages and disadvantages of each option before making a decision, and prioritise your storage needs and budget to find the best solution for you. Remember to take into account the specific requirements of your stored items to keep them safe and well-preserved over time. For more information on costs have a read of this article
To find out more about the sizes we have go over and read ‘A Detailed Guide to Self Storage Unit Sizes
If you need to find out how much each type long term self storage cost, Corby Self Storage can help. If you are looking for the best price or cheapest self storage unit prices in Corby, then contact our friendly team on 01536 402116 to see what self storage prices offer or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any other questions we can help with then click here
No deposit, no hidden service fees, no reservation fee, no notice period, no hassle, just pay for what you need